Thursday, April 11, 2013

You can't leave a place you've never been.

     That almost sounds like a Country & Western song title, doesn't it? (Speaking of which, one of my favorites is: "I've Fallen in Love (and I Can't Get Up)") But seriously, there's a lot to acceptance. But our minds, our egos often fight it at every turn. Haven't you ever been at a place in your life where you're like: "I can not be this messed-up." Or "I can't have that far to go." Or "I can't be that far behind everybody else!"
     I know I have—many times. And I fought being there. Desperately. I just didn't want to be where I was at in my life. "IT JUST CAN'T BE!" But as the saying goes: "It is what it is."
     The good news is once you acknowledge that you are indeed where you are in your life, you are free to leave there. Now, you may not be able to make quick strides out of there, but you will be able to leave.
     People that refuse to accept where they are at will flounder. It's inevitable. Because they are not facing the world as who they really are.
     I once had a dream that I was suddenly on stage with the Rolling Stones. (And I have never played an instrument and have no musical aptitude whatsoever.) So there I am on stage with Mick and Keith and the rest of the Stones. I have a guitar slung over my shoulder but I have no idea how to play it. I'm like, How the hell did I get here and what am I going to do now?
     It was sheer terror. And that's what life is like every day when you're facing it as someone you're not (ie. when you're not accepting who you are/where you're at in your life.)
     And of course, had I really wanted to play like the Stones I would have had a hell of a long way to get there. Like the AC/DC song: "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n' roll." But at least you can take genuine steps toward getting there if you accept where you're at.
     So you can wail and scream and jump up and down and pout and rail at God that you should be further down the path but it simply isn't going to do one bit of good. So face the sober truth. No matter where you are. Accept who you are, where you're at, and then you can really start making your way to where you want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by